Google Glass is the beginning of a new wave of technology

For as long as I can remember, technology has been a part of my life. I learned how to use a computer around the age of three with programs such as Kid Pix and interactive children’s books that introduced me to basic computer tools.

Once in elementary school, learning new programs became simple and almost boring because of my “prowess.” Computer classes taught me to use my knowledge effectively, but I was constantly ready for the newest technology to expand my skill set.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 77 percent of homes had a computer in 2010. In contrast, only 22.8 percent of homes had a computer in 1993.

Now that this technology has become more prevalent in most people’s lives, companies have been more effective at providing new and innovative products. The product that has recently caught my attention has been released by Google.

The product: Google Glass. The verdict: it looks amazing.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you’re missing out. Glass is an eyewear technology that allows you to record videos and take pictures from a first person perspective. They connect to the Internet to view the weather forecast, search for images or web pages and even have a video conference wherever you’re going.

Currently, Google is only handing out a limited number for people to try out before mass production. I applied for one although it costs $1500 (I definitely don’t have that money).

Despite that downside, I can hardly wait until this becomes a part of our daily life. If not Glass, a competitive product will impact the society at large.

However, my excitement is matched by some people’s trepidation. To be fair, these technophobes may see this as the next step towards us all having microchips in our brain and being controlled.

To these people I say, “And the problem is?”

If there is technology that can make our lives easier, whether it is glasses that connect to the Internet, devices that allow you to carry thousands of songs in your pocket, or microchips in our brain that connect to the world mother computer, sign me up. I want to be a part of it.

Just like the television and the home computer have changed the way we see our world, technology like Google Glass will impact our worldview. Film and journalism will become a more interactive experience and our connection to the world around us will only increase.

Does this technology have its downsides? Sure it does. There is too much unknown about the product. Technology will always be imperfect by the standards we set for it. However, at this current juncture in our society, I believe Google Glass gives us the breakthrough to truly impact our world.