Restaurant Review: Playmakers Bar & Grill

As someone who sadly doesn’t explore the area around campus as much as I should, considering I’ve lived in this city going on three and a half years now, I was excited to get out and try the new Playmakers Bar and Grill, 101 Graham Ave., where Haymarket Grill used to be.
Walking in, the space was open and clean with a long bar and a lofted seating area that overlooked the bar.
The place had a little something for everyone, from sports fans to those looking for a more upscale bar to have martinis with girlfriends. There are drink and meal specials every night,  pool tables and eight big screen TV’s so you can hang out, play a few games and watch your favorite team.
Now for the food. When I saw “Bar and Grill” in the title, I assumed the prices would be fairly cheap and the food a notch above bar food. However, when I sat down and saw the average price for an appetizer was $7 to $8, I got a little nervous.
As I kept reading past the appetizers, I was surprised by the types of food offered, from deep-fried mac-n-cheese, to burgers or pizza, to a create your own pasta dish and even all-you-can eat crab legs for $19 on Saturday nights. This variety had the potential to either be a  really smart mix or just trying too hard.
But my trepidations were all in vain when I got my order. I decided to go with the Bavarian burger for $7.95. The burger was served on marble rye bread topped with sauerkraut, Muenster cheese and cooked cinnamon apples. It was a little odd, I admit, but as someone who has ordered pears on a pizza, it was just strange enough to work.
It was definitely an $8 burger and I was happy to pay every penny. The burger was huge and the toppings were the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
For those who are less adventurous, my boyfriend got the Pepper Crusted Whiskey burger with bacon and has since talked about going back again. I think next time we’ll go on a Sunday, when burgers and sandwiches are half-off.
I think the restaurant’s name is misleading because even though you can go and watch sports and (for those of the 21-plus persuasion) get drinks, I thought it was by far the last thing to focus on. As I sat there the word that kept coming into my head was “adult.” It’s not just another local pub, but a sports bar with a shot of sophistication.