One hundred reasons to celebrate: week 25

This+photograph+shows+a+class+learning+mathematics+during+1967.+

This photograph shows a class learning mathematics during 1967.

Story by Kelsey O'Connor, Staff Writer

Each week The Spectator will showcase organizations, departments, majors or other aspects of UW-Eau Claire as a part of the centennial celebrations event known as “100 Reasons to Celebrate.”

All photos courtesy of Special Collections and Archives, W.D. McIntyre Library, UW-Eau Claire.

#89 – Center for Service Learning

UW-Eau Claire is a liberal arts university that prides itself on community participation. All students who attend Eau Claire must partake in some type of public service. A minimum of 30 hours is required for each student to graduate. According to the center’s website, the service-learning requirement “fosters habits of public engagement in students and encourages them to serve society.”

The Center for Service Learning guides students toward different opportunities to fulfill the service-learning requirement. This can be accomplished through service learning projects or courses with service learning components. Examples of projects include working with a neighborhood association, a public interest organization, a political campaign or serving as a mentor through programs such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, Scouting, 4-H or other youth organizations.

Students looking for service learning options or with additional questions can visit the Center for Service Learning, located in room 2100 of the Old Library, or email [email protected].

Students can earn service-learning hours through volunteering. This 1997 photos shows campus ambassadors who volunteered to help show off Eau Claire’s campus.

#90 – Children’s Nature Academy

The Children’s Nature Academy is a program provided by Eau Claire that provides child care to children ages six weeks through 12 years of age. They are one of the few centers in Eau Claire which is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Program. Per the Nature Academy’s website, the programs they offer “focus on development and interaction while learning through play and hands-on experiences.”

The programs that are offered through the Children’s Nature Academy include summer camps, evening programs and bilingual camps. Still, the outdoors, nature and hands-on activities are involved in every program.

There are about 120 students hired each semester as teacher’s assistants for the Children’s Nature Academy. While it is located off campus, there are shuttle services to get students back and forth. Any student interested in a position can contact 715-836-2178 or fill out an application online.

Eau Claire has cared about enjoying nature for years. This photo shows a Nature Study class during the 1921-1922 school year.

#91 – Mathematics

Currently, there are over 300 students at Eau Claire studying mathematics. These students have majors such as mathematics liberal arts, actuarial science, applied mathematics/statistics and mathematics teaching.

The mathematics department also offers two different clubs for students to get involved with on campus. These are the math club and the actuarial science club. Students don’t necessarily have to be math majors in order to join these organizations.

Students with majors in the math department can look forward to careers as mathematicians, statisticians or teachers. Students interested in pursuing a career in mathematics can stop by Hibbard Hall room 508 or email [email protected].

#92 – Student Senate

Student Senate is an organization run strictly by Eau Claire students. Eau Claire’s website states, “the Student Senate represents the entire student body of Eau Claire at the university, local, state, and federal levels and allocates $17 million a year to improve student life.” Their goal is to identify and improve university policies and present legislation to the general Senate.

Student Senate is made up of seven different commissions: academic affairs, the student office of sustainability, finance, information technology, intergovernmental affairs, campus affairs, marketing and university activities.

Each group studies issues related to their commission in depth to make recommendations to Student Senate concerning events and legislation. Each commission also has a director who oversees the agendas, minutes, meeting time, meeting place, chair appointments and recruitment of regular commission members.

All students are welcome to get involved in Student Senate. Meetings are every Monday at 6:00 p.m. in Davies. The calendar of the specific meeting room can be found on their website. For more information, stop by Davies, room 220, check out Eau Claire’s website or email [email protected].

The Student Senate of Eau Claire gets together for a meeting during December of 1999.
This picture shows the college senate in 1963.