Fun Run dedicated to late Chuck Tomkovick

Annual AMA 5K in honor of well-loved professor

Tomkovick

Tomkovick

Story by Courtney Roszak, Staff Writer

Last summer, Chuck Tomkovick, UW-Eau Claire marketing professor of 21 years passed away after battling cancer. The American Marketing Association will dedicate its 32nd annual 5K Fun Run to Tomkovick.

Keep on Chuckin’ Vice President of Finance Phillip Dickinson became involved with the 5K by finding sponsors and setting up the raffle, which will take place the day of the run.

“The idea to raise money for Chuck was something that was discussed last year as well,” Dickinson said. “But when he did die, we knew this had to be the year to honor him, and there was no better way other than the annual AMA Fun Run.”

Tomkovick was the AMA adviser in previous years and worked to lay down the groundwork for the chapter.

In past years, the 5K has raised awareness and funds for a variety of charities. This year, AMA has decided to stay a little closer to home. Funds raised through the fun run will go toward the Chuck Tomkovick Management and Marketing Teaching in Excellence Fund.

The Eau Claire Foundation webpage states the fund recognizes exceptional teaching in the department and honors the legacy of Tomkovick.

Managing and Marketing Department Chair Kristy Lauver said Tomkovick always poured his heart and soul into working with his students.

“Chuck’s enthusiasm lit up the hallways,” Lauver said. “He could put a smile on your face just by walking by, and was great at re-energizing all of his colleagues around him as he always had a positive outlook on life.”

Behind most of the planning for this year’s run is senior general marketing major and AMA Vice President of Activities Michael Boucher. The 5K is one of the big events he has to plan in the year.

“I have assisted by being the center piece in planning. I am making sure that fundraising is contacting enough sponsors and that our PR team is getting the word out in the most efficient way possible,” Boucher said. “My personal role, as well as with my team of directors, is to do a lot of the behind the scenes work such as planning a route, making sure we have all of the necessary equipment and keeping track of registration.”

The organization has discussed whether they will continue to support the Chuck Tomkovick Management and Marketing Teaching in Excellence Fund until it reaches the goal and has also discussed setting up a scholarship fund.

The run will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday starting in front of Schneider Hall. Runners can register beforehand on the AMA website or on race day starting at 8 a.m. on the first floor of Davies.