Orgs ask Senate for support

Two groups want student cash to trek to conventions

Story by Nate Beck, Chief Copy Editor

Student Senate will vote next week to spend a combined $1,900 toward out-of-town travel costs for two UW-Eau Claire business organizations.

Senate will vote to pledge $1,600 toward Eau Claire DECA’s international competition in Washington, D.C. and $300 toward the Society of Human Resource Management’s conference in Milwaukee.

DECA asked Senate for $2,500 in extra funding to help cover about $8,200 in travel and lodging costs for their late-April international conference in Washington.

All 19 Eau Claire DECA members qualified for the international conference at their state meet in early March. And they want to send 11 to nationals, which is “by far” the most the group has shipped to the conference, Aaron Polzin, DECA chapter president said.

Polzin has traveled to three other international DECA competitions. He said DECA experience boosted his resume and helped him land a job after his graduation in May.

“It’s an awesome experience to be able to meet people and network and connect with other students,” he said.

The Eau Claire College of Business pledged $2,531 toward DECA’s trip. The group has also raised another $1,000 toward the cost of the trip.

DECA will also hold a fundraiser at Raspberry Reign in Eau Claire April 15 to help offset travel costs. Polzin said the more they’re able to fundraise, the less members have to pay out of pocket.

Finance Commission director Tyler Will said two finance members voted against presenting a $1,600 grant to Senate, favoring $1,375, which covers just the $125 registration fee for each member.

But finance finally passed the $1,600 partial grant, which helps cover travel and hotel costs, 7-2-3 at its meeting.

“I never expected (Senate) to cover the full $2,500,” Polzein said. “Covering the registration costs is huge.”

DECA’s 11-member squad isn’t the only thing that will make Eau Claire stand out, Will said.

“They said they would wear matching Blugold ties to the conference,” he said.

Part of the reason finance opposed a full grant, is because Senate’s carryover account — which is used to fund requests like DECA’s midway through the budget cycle — sits at about $9,000 now — that’s down from about $141,000 in 2012.

Brooke Yoder competed in DECA for three years in high school, but didn’t join until the start of senior year last fall. She said she’s excited to travel to D.C. and compete nationally.

‘You’re using the skills they teach you in class,” Yoder said. “DECA teaches you to think on your feet, I’m hoping to use those skills when I apply for jobs.”