Professional legal advice available on campus

UW-Eau Claire employs attorney for student use

Story by Austin Mai, Staff Writer

Each year since 1982, the UW-Eau Claire Student Senate has hired Harry Hertel to serve as the school’s legal services attorney.

For a one-time fee of $10, students can take advantage of the services provided by Hertel. For each follow-up appointment, he charges only $5.

Students can make appointments in person at the Student Senate office in Davies Center beforehand. Students need to bring their Blugold card and speak with the program assistant to set up a time.

Hertel has helped students with legal issues ranging from small claims to traffic violations and harassment.

“A third (of student cases) deals with alcohol related things, like underage drinking, drunk drivings, underages on premises,” Hertel said. “Landlord tenants are probably another third. The remaining third is a big mixture of family law, personal injury, bankruptcy and I’ve even had some immigration questions.”

The program is intended to provide students with answers to their legal questions or give them places to go that will answer their questions if Hertel cannot. Under the program, he can  also send letters advocating on a student’s behalf, Hertel said.

In some cases, he can make phone calls to district attorneys’ offices or clerks of court to obtain additional information, Hertel said

“In criminal cases, I can refer students to the public defender’s office,” Hertel said. “In civil cases, there’s an organization named Judicare that provides help to people with low income.”

While his legal advice is pertinent, Hertel said he believes in referring people to places that could help including deviation service offered through the Eau Claire courthouse.

Hertel said other services provided on campus can address other issues like drug dependence.

“If you’ve got a drinking issue where they’ve gotten in trouble more than once, having them talk to a counselor on campus is a pretty good idea,” Hertel said. “It gives them insight to their behavior and hopefully can help them in showing the authorities that they’re trying to deal with things responsibly.”

Hertel can represent students in court, but it would not be covered by the university and would require Hertel to be retained privately.

Sophomore Joseph Holzhausen has used Hetel’s services and said he was a great resource.

“First thing he asked about was my financial circumstances,” Holzhausen said.

He also said Hertel does his best to advise the student how to take on the situation in the cheapest way.

Hertel privately operates at $250 an hour, but has a 20 percent student discount. However, if the university, its employees or police force are involved, Hertel and members of his firm are contractually obligated to not advocate against them.

Off-campus senator and director of Student Services Sarah Tyrell said per week the office aids between four and seven students. She said in the last two years, there has only been one night where no one had an appointment.

The Student Senate and Hertel said the program has suffered lately as there’s been a decline of students taking advantage of the service.

“It’s one of those things that for some reason people don’t realize,” Hertel said. “Year after year, people just don’t seem to carry the message that there’s a lawyer on campus that helps people for ten bucks. Which is an incredible deal, the best bargain in town.”

Despite the decline, Tyrell said she still believes in the service.

“Even if we can help just a few students every week I think it’s a valuable resource,” Tyrell said. “Harry does such a good job, and with the increased advertising, we’ve had a few more students coming every week.”