New dean scheduled to start in July

High-impact practices first priority for College of Arts and Sciences dean, David Leaman

Story by Cori Picard, Staff Writer

UW-Eau Claire is regionally and nationally recognized for its student-centered education, and the new dean of the Colleges of Arts and Sciences said he plans to keep it that way.

David Leaman, who is scheduled to start serving in July, was chosen from over 80 candidates after a national search. Leaman is currently the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and a political science professor at Northeastern Illinois University. He received his bachelor’s degree from Goshen College in Indiana and his master’s and doctoral degrees from Cornell University.

Leaman will replace David Baker, who has served as interim dean since May 2012. As dean, Leaman said his main duties will be administering programs within the college, working with the provost to advance admission of the college and university and working with department chairs and directors.

He said Eau Claire’s commitment to high-impact educational practices is what attracted him to Wisconsin.

“I was so impressed at how many students take part in service-learning, collaborative research with professors, study abroad and intercultural immersion,” Leaman said. “I want to safeguard those practices, because those kinds of educational elements changed my life when I was an undergraduate.”

Leaman said one of his goals is to sustain these high-impact activities and the educational culture Eau Claire has created for its students. A second goal of Leaman’s is to listen and talk with faculty members, students and department heads to learn more about the campus. He’s already gotten a head start. He estimated  he’s met 70 different people through the application and interview process for the position.

That process included two rounds of Skype interviews and an in-person interview that spanned three days on campus. A search committee made up of students, faculty and staff was appointed to help recommend the new dean.

Associate professor and history department chair Kate Lang was on the search committee that helped find Leaman.

“David is committed to the type of education we provide at UW-Eau Claire,” Lang said. “One of the things that struck me about him was that he’s an extrovert. He also pays attention to detail. You don’t often find those two things in one person.”

Leaman said he feels very humbled by this opportunity and he’s excited to take on the task and start working. Lang predicts he’ll yield positive results.

“I think he’s going to be a very good dean,” she said. “He’s going to be a good listener and he’s going to be able to work with people to get things done.”

Leaman will be making several visits to campus before his official start date, so keep your eyes open for our new dean.That process included two rounds of Skype interviews and an in-person interview that spanned three days on campus. A search committee made up of students, faculty and staff was appointed to help recommend the new dean.

Leaman will be making several visits to campus before his official start date, so keep your eyes open for our new dean.