Senate supports multi-sex housing on campus

Bills on renewable energy, reusable water bottles are on the burner for next week

Story by Nate Beck, Chief Copy Editor

Student Senate unanimously passed a resolution supporting all-gender housing on campus at its first meeting of the semester Monday.

An all-gender housing policy would allow students to sign up for mixed-sex living in suite-style residence halls.

The resolution supports male, female or “trans*” students living in the same room. Senate supports a program similar to ones on UW-La Crosse and -Milwaukee’s campuses.

Six months ago Senator Stephen Kahlow would have been opposed to all-gender housing on campus. But after digging into the issue, it makes sense, he said.

“As far as I know, and as far as anyone knows, there is no cost issue with building or restructuring the residence halls,” Kahlow said.

He said the university wouldn’t need to drastically change living space layout to put the plan in motion.

Senator Zach Ahola was Senate’s Residence and Housing Association liaison last semester. He said RHA has been trying to get a similar document passed for years.

“This is a long time coming,” Ahola said. “It’s great to see that this has finally arrived.”

Next week

Senate will vote next week to renew Xcel Energy’s Windsource program.

Windsource is an extra charge on top of the university energy bill. That extra money goes toward funding renewable energy plants like Buffalo Ridge Wind Farm in Minnesota.

Senators will also vote on a Student Office of Sustainability plan to spend about $11,000 on reusable metal water bottles.

The bottles are made from 100 percent recycled aluminum and are also 100 percent recyclable, Emy Marier, who was appointed SOS director Monday, said.