Upper campus book drop approved

Student Senate passed a bill for the allocation of $1,500 for a book drop on upper campus on Monday.

The book drop will allow students to return books to the library without needing to go to the book drop outside McIntyre Library, located on lower campus, bill author Director Patrick Martin said.

“There were a lot of concerns with non-traditional students not having places to park their cars outside of the library,” Martin said.

Martin said that it was especially concerning for non-traditional students who may have children with them in their vehicles.

Sen. Brianna Burke added that she thought now was a good time to get the book drop on upper campus, especially since an element of UW- Eau Claire’s master plan is to not have vehicle traffic at all on Garfield Avenue, where the library entrance is located.

The book drop had been a three-year process started by former Director Sarah Tweedale, according to Student Services Commission Director Stephanie Mabrey.

In his report, President Phil Rynish said that over the next several weeks, he, along with Vice President Mark Morgan and Martin, as well as Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich, Dean of Students Brian Carlisle and Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Beth Hellwig will be looking into ways to improve Student Health Services on campus.

This may eventually include looking into proposals from outside providers, Rynish said.

“There are changes that need to be made, but we’re not sure yet if they will be internal or external changes,” Rynish said.

It is too soon to know which direction changes to Student Health Services will take, he added. In addition, Rynish discussed the continuing construction on campus.

Rynish said in his report that some trees will be removed from the campus mall area over spring break.

Other news was brought forth by commissions, including the Student Office of Sustainability.

In her report, Director Brittany Whited said it is estimated that facilities went over their budget of their allocation to get water bottle refill stations for campus.  Facilities went over by $7,250  according to the minutes from Tuesday’s SOS meeting.Whited said Facilities had not taken into account installment expenses. They also purchased three more Refill Stations, which cost $6,900, including installation, Whited said.

After spring break, SOS will vote on whether or not to re-fund the costs.