Senate disagrees with portion of budget-lapse UW System must pay

A resolution was passed in opposition to the recent budget lapse and how it’s affecting the UW System.

According to the resolution, state programs have to give back at least $174.3 million. The UW System must give back a little over $65 million of this total. UW-Eau Claire will pay back over $3.344 million.

This comprises 38 percent of the statewide cuts, but the system only accounts for 7 percent of total expenditures.

President Phil Rynish said the non-binding resolution is supposed to deliver a message and expects other UW System student senates to do the same thing as well as the chancellors.

“Maybe it’s just a PR thing, but I think it will help somewhat,” he said. “If nothing else it’ll open people’s eyes to just how disproportionate the cuts we are taking.”

Another resolution passed in agreement with modifying Financial Policy 50. In this policy, there are certain fees determined to be “non-allocable” meaning that the chancellor can set them with student consultation.

According to the resolution, state statute 36.09(5) allows students to control policies concerning student life and that some non-allocable fees
primarily affect student life.

As an example, Vice President Mark Morgan said that the university controls the university centers budget. Student senate gets a copy of the budget to vote on, but it is only an advisory vote. Ultimately students don’t have much say and he stressed that this is illegal under 36.09(5).

“Centers basically exists to serve student life and interests,” he said. “There is no academic function of university centers. For the most part it seems to be primarily student life and interests.”

Morgan hopes that the resolution passed by Eau Claire student senate will be just one of many that will help get the policy changed.

“The idea is to have it passed by virtually all UW institutions so that there’s enough pressure.”