Congressman emphasizes importance of education

Economic issues, health care reform and education were a few of the topics highlighted by Congressman Ron Kind during a question-and-answer session hosted by the College Democrats Thursday at UW-Eau Claire.

Kind, democratic congressman for Wisconsin’s Third Congressional District, spoke to a group of about 15 people in the Potowatomi Room in the Davies Center.

Wisconsin’s third congressional district covers much of western and southwestern Wisconsin and includes Buffalo, Clark, Crawford, Dunn, Eau Claire, Grant, Iowa, Jackson, Juneau, La Crosse, Lafayette, Monroe, Pepin, Pierce, Richland, Saint Croix, Sauk, Trempealeau and Vernon counties. It is the state’s second largest congressional district by area next to District Seven, represented by Dave Obey (D).

Kind has represented the district since 1997 and is currently running to reclaim his seat.

“Western Wisconsin is really a Mecca of higher education,” Kind said. “I believe we have the best educational resources to compete globally.”

Originally from La Crosse, Kind said he believes education is important in the future of the country’s economy as a way to be aware of current issues and make smart budgeting decisions.

“(The U.S.) has been remarkable in reinventing itself in the past, and we need that more than ever now,” he said. “It starts with education; we need to be smart to not go back to failed policies.”

Aside from emphasizing the importance of education, Kind also proposed new budgeting in the health care reform, saying that health care providers should be rewarded for the services they provide. If other areas practiced health care the way western Wisconsin does, we wouldn’t have an economic crisis, he said.

Senior Trisha Turner said she supports Kind’s ideas.

“The changes he’s made to the health care reform have been great,” she said. “I’m especially happy with his support for Planned Parenthood.”

Among Congressman Kind’s other budget concerns were weapons systems, foreign policy and earmarks.

Also present at the session and showing support for Congressman Kind was State Representative Jeff Smith.

Smith also said it’s critical to reinvent the state’s budgeting. Smith, who said he started off in Eau Claire as a small business owner before moving into public service, cited the importance of small business and the middle class to help solve Wisconsin’s economic downturn.

“I know it’s important to stand up for those who drive the economy …” he said.

When asked by an audience member why he chose his career path, Kind said it came down to passion.

“Democracy isn’t easy… it’s like a contact sport,” he said with a laugh. “But I want to see our state and nation succeed – I have ideas that I think will help.”