Making the changes

Aaron Vehling

In its second year as the campus dining service, Sodexho is changing its restaurants and menus to meet the demands of the students.

One example is the Dulany Inn.

“We have created a new breakfast restaurant on campus located in the Dulany Inn with a menu designed to meet the needs of the students, faculty and staff,” said Gary Prellwitz, general manager of Sodexho campus services.

“Our customers can select from a continental buffet or order off the menu from our pleasant staff.”

Breakfast is served from 7 to 9 a.m. with an improved menu, Prellwitz said. It used to be in the Terrace, but due to small turnout it was moved during the summer to its current location.

The turnout so far has been average, but with advertising and word of mouth, Prellwitz said he expects an increase.

Dulany Inn is also open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for lunch. Its specialties include upscale sandwiches and salads. The grand opening is scheduled for the end of September.

Besides the Dulany Inn, Sodexho offers a variety of choices in regards to restaurants, menus and atmosphere. Fast food is available at the Marketplace in Davies and the all-you-can-eat buffet is still served at the Terrace.

In the Hilltop Center, Mein Bowl has been replaced by a new pasta stand and Freshens now offers pretzels.

These changes occurred because of the Dining Service Committee, which is a student-run organization. They meet weekly with Sodexho to voice concerns about food quality and talk about students’ interests.

“Student suggestions are taken seriously and changes based upon them are made immediately,” said David Lenling, a senior marketing major and member of the Dining Services Committee. “In some cases, minutes after the meeting.”

Lenling said one of the most significant challenges of the committee is finding a way to meet all students’ dining needs.

The Dining Services Committee holds public meetings every Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Badger room in Davies.