Campus Ambassadors, Salvation Army sponsor Giving Tree

Santa Claus is coming to Davies Center and all members of the campus community are invited to help in any way they can.

The Campus Ambassadors, along with the Salvation Army, are sponsoring a Giving Tree this year to help children in need. Gift-givers can go to Davies lobby (by the Information Desk) through Friday, select an ornament from the tree, then have fun picking out and buying a toy.

“I find it easier to give during the holidays,” junior Andrea Thelen said as she chose her desired ornament and gift idea from the tree. “It feels good to know that I’m helping a child out. Even if I don’t know who they are.”

The tree is already decorated with ornaments that have the gender and age of a child in need, along with a gift idea.

The cost of the gift should be from $5-$15.

Unwrapped toys need to be turned Dec. this week through Friday by the Davies Center Information Desk.

The Campus Ambassadors and the Salvation Army will then distribute the gifts to area children.

Junior student ambassador Renee Charest chairs the community service committee with her sister.

For the past three years, the committee’s main mission was the community that houses and fosters the students in their college growth, she said.

Ambassadors work together with the Eau Claire Salvation Army to make the holidays a bit more comfortable for families, Charest said.

“We see it as an excellent opportunity to tap into the bountiful student and faculty population,” she said. “It really is amazing and very heart warming to observe the generosity of this population.”

In just the first day the tree was decorated, Charest said about 65 percent of the gift tags were taken.

“I was amazed and proud of my fellow peers for their thoughtfulness,” she said. “What better time of year to let Eau Claire know that we care about our community?”